Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Recommended Books for Parents & Adoptive Parents

I wanted to share a few books that either, I am reading or was highly suggested that I read...
I will start with the ones I am currently reading and recommend:

-"There is no me without you" One woman's Odyssey to Rescue Her Country's Children by Melissa Fay Greene- so far this book has had amazing history of Ethiopia. A personal story of a woman's life in Ethiopia and shares the things that people struggle with and see on a regular basis, that we in America can't even fathom.

-"Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp- this book helps you to remember to care for your child's heart in the way you raise them. Don't forget that they have souls and everything you do or neglect to do effects who they become. Reminds you to always point to truth and explain your choices.

-"Adopting without Debt" Creative ways to cover the cost of adoption by Julie Gumm- Very encouraging, she uses a lot of Dave Ramsey method's and influence, also personal fund raising success stories and ideas.

-"The Connected Child" For parents who have welcomed children: From other countries and cultures, From troubled backgrounds, With Special behavioral or emotional needs by Karyn B. Purvis, David R. Cross and Wendy Lyons Sunshine- This book helps you through the tougher parts of parenting your children. It walks through the unique challenges adopted children face using compassion, care and consideration. AMAZING!

And some that were highly recommended:

-" Give Them Grace" Dazzling your kids with the love of Jesus by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick & Jessica Thompson- This book was recommended to my husband by an amazing friend and Mentor/Pastor Daniel Montgomery of Sojourn Church in Loiusville, Kentucky . He is an amazing Dad and said that this book helps you to teach your children Grace. I can not wait to read it.

-"I'm chocolate you're Vanilla" Raising healthy black and biracial children in a race-conscious world by Marguerite A. Wright- I have seen other adoptive parents say on their blogs that this is a great book, the back reads: Teaches parents and educators of black and biracial children how to reduce racism's impact on a child's development- from preschool through adolescence- and in doing so to raise emotionally healthy children.

-"Instructing a Child's Heart" by Tedd & Margy Tripp- This book helps you to raise your child in biblical truths to point them to the greatest joy and happiness that they can experience- delighting in God and the goodness of his ways.

I realized I have yet to complete any books because as you can see I have started a few at one time and this is only the adoption/ parent category! :) I'm reading more often now so hopefully I will finish and move on to the others! :)
I have more books I have purchased and look forward to reading. Here is a list:

-" Parenting with Love & Logic" by Foster Cline & Jim Fay
-" Bringing up Boys" by James Dobson
-" The Whole Life Adoption Book" by Jayne E. Schooler & Thomas C. Atwood
-" Adopted For Life" by Russell D. Moore
-" Big Truths for Young Hearts" by Bruce A. Ware
-" Orphanology" By Tony Merida & Rick Morton
-" Raising Adopted Children" by Lois Ruskai Melina
-" Boundaries with Kids" by Henry Cloud & John Townsend

Better start reading :)

No comments: